Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate and Strawberry
makes 12 large cupcakes
1 1/3 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup dutch-process cocoa
45g butter, softened
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 F). Line muffin tins with cases.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
4. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk and beat well.
5. Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool in tins for at least 10 minutes, decorate when completely cool.
White Chocolate and Strawberry 'Frosting'
Ok so it's not really frosting. My vocabulary has deserted me so I can't think of what else to call it :)
180g good quality white chocolate
6 large strawberries
1. Boil a small saucepan of water. Remove from heat and place a bowl full of the chopped white chocolate over the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir chocolate until smooth. Allow to cool for 5 minutes or so.
2. Cut each of the strawberries in half. Then, make 4-5 vertical slices in each half, being careful not to slice all the way through.
3. With a dessert spoon, spoon some of the melted chocolate onto each cupcake, using the back of the spoon to ensure even coverage. Leave at room temperature for about 5 minutes so chocolate is firmer but not set.
4. Place a sliced strawberry onto each cupcake, pushing down into the white chocolate a little. Refrigerate until ready to serve.